- "I am a sick man.. I am a spiteful man. I am a most unpleasant man."
- "Yes, sir, an intelligent man in the nineteenth century must be, is morally obliged to be, principally a characterless creature; a man possessing character, a man of action, is fundamentally a limited creature."
- ".the most intense pleasures occur in despair.."
- "There, in its disgusting, stinking underground, our offended, crushed, and ridiculed mouse immediately plunges into cold, malicious, and, above all, everlasting spitefulness."
- "Then the crystal palace will be built."
- "One's very own free, unfettered desire, one's own whim, no matter how wild, one's own fantasy, even though sometimes roused to the point of madness-all this constitutes precisely that previously omitted, most advantageous advantage which isn't included under any classification and because of which all systems and theories are constantly smashed to smithereens."
- ".it's only reason.."
- ".I was her savior and she loved me more than anything in the world."
- "It also occurred to my overwrought brain that now our roles were completely reversed.."
- ".I've only taken to an extreme that which you haven't even dared to take halfway.."
Notes from the Underground: Top Ten Quotes