1. What role does Fate play in the story?
2. Discuss the manner in which identity-reversal plays a role in furthering the novel's plot.
3. Compare and contrast the means employed by Charles Darnay, Mr. Stryver and Sydney Carton in winning Lucie Manette's affection and describe what this reveals about each man's character.
4. What reasons might Dickens have had for opening his story with a comparison between the time period of the novel's setting and that of his readers?
5. How are women characterized in the novel?
A Tale of Two Cities: Essay Q&A